Thursday, August 19, 2010

An Unknown Artist

To make ends meet, I often temp in corporate America, where life is so structured and detailed that I often find myself a little dazed and confused from all the minutia.  On occasion, I come across something that restores and enlightens.  How joyful are these moments!

In an office on Park Avenue, a work on paper stopped me in my tracks.  At first glance, it seems like a modest diagrammatic work on paper - minimal color range, rather light and sketchy.  Two pieces of watercolor paper glued together making one long piece.  On further inspection, a variety of marks come into play: geometric shapes, cross marks, hatching, smudging, scribbling and shading form a whimsical composition using a wide range of materials such as charcoal, graphite, colored pencil, paint and tape.  What an orchestral flow of multiligual versatility stopping at a moment of perfect balance.

I wanted to know more and inquired about this artist in the collection.  Yet, there was no name, no fame, no glory.  I salute this artist and all those like him/her who as unknown masters of their art, still make their marks on us.

No comments: